Search

Blog Archive

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

What I do on December 24-25 if I celebrate Christmas in January

 Blogmas Day 18


The main food for Christmas in Ukraine - Kutya (this one is made by my grandmother)

Guuuys. Hi!!! I'm so late, it was a while, I don't know what to do with Blogmas. Days before New Year are so busy. NYE is the biggest holiday here so I am going bunch of stuff. Tomorrow will be the day of cleaning, cooking, and taking care of myself so I won't be looking like a potato on NY haha.

So most of you (who have read any of my previous Blogmas posts) know I celebrate Christmas 13 days later after December 25. So what I do on December 24-25? Well, most people in Ukraine do nothing special on this day, it's a workday, almost everybody work or study on this date.
But my case is a little different. Since my childhood as I remember it my family always called the evening of December 24 ''a saint evening''. And we always celebrate it in the same way - we have a family dinner with my grandmother in her house. And go to her again (we all are basically neighbors with my family) on December 25 for brunch.
We usually have 12 meals for the evening. And, traditionally, we should start our dinner when it's already the first star showing in the sky. Also, we should try first Kutya before eating anything else. I almost have never eaten it in childhood bc it's grey and liquid as soups (I hated soups too) but actually, it's good and sweet. Ingredients can be different and it changes everything. Taste can be so different.
We don't have a boxing day... Pretty much, at all, in Ukraine, but I mean we don't give each other gifts in December. Traditionally, here in Ukraine we give each other gifts on New Year Eve or on the first day of the year, but recently my family exchange gifts on Christmas a week later after a NYE.
It's pretty much all about it... It also kinda to see how everyone already has Christmas and I should wait 2 weeks... But on the other side it's really cool to know that all the main holidays still in the future for you while it's over for other.

By the way!! Today I bought some food for New Year and half of the people on the street were with the Christmas trees. No, they were not throwing it away, they were BUYING IT! In Ukraine we don't say ''a Christmas tree'', we say ''a New Year''. So people continue buying trees and decorating. Maybe I should decorate mine too and it's not that late? Actually, it's a good time to do it in Ukraine.
I don't have a Christmas (New Year) tree this year (probably yet) but I decorated with some DIY (and not only), I'll show in the next post.
Do people in your country already throw Christmas tree away?


Haha I just realized there is a woman in glasses on the photo of my parrot. What the hell? How it's happened lol?

2 comments:

  1. It's so interesting to read about how people celebrate in different areas of the world. My husband and I are practicing Pagans, so we celebrate Yule on Dec 21 as part of the Winter Solstice. However, we have also adopted some more traditional 'Christmas' aspects of the holiday season including our Christmas tree and opening gifts with family. Most people here (Ontario, Canada) keep their trees up until after New Year's Eve and then they come down at the start of January.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Holidays and a happy new year!
    Still have the christmas tree up. Will take it down after new years.

    www.fashionradi.com

    ReplyDelete